Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dog days

If anyone had told me before that dogs are basically goats with less annoying voices, I probably would have thought twice about getting one.

A long time ago I was house-sitting in a mansion for my bosses. This place was gigantic and they had four kids, so they had alarms installed on every door to the house. Whenever a door would open, a beeping sound would go through the whole house, and sound again when the door closed. I had taken a bath in the jacuzzi tub because I am an absolute sucker for jets. I cannot pass them up. Sometime during my revelry someone came into the house, but I didn't hear the doors. It was late at night, probably around midnight. I was climbing into bed in this ridiculously huge master bedroom with floor to ceiling windows, and Rufus, the family's harlequin Great Dane, started growling. I don't know if you've ever heard a very large dog growl, but it is scary. It sounds like thunder. I was instantly anxious and when he got up and walked to the door with his fur standing on edge I started freaking out. I listened carefully and heard a soft rattling sound coming from the kitchen down the hall.. I started talking really loudly and shouted at Rufus to "GO GET 'EM!" He went bounding through the house, barking that terrifying bark, and I armed myself with a golf club that had been sitting near the bed (why is it that rich people feel the need to sleep with their putters?) There was a door slam, barking, claws scraping against the hardwood floor, then I heard the door alarm sound once, then twice. Whoever it was had left the house.

Ever since that incident I have never felt comfortable being alone in a house at night. Now that I have my daughter, I'm especially uncomfortable with the idea. Whenever my husband is out of town for work, I am somehow convinced that someone is breaking into our house or scraping on the window, and I end up just standing in the hallway, clutching my cell phone, debating about whether or not I should call the police. Usually my humiliation at the idea of reporting a bush scraping the house siding wins out and I just go to sleep and have nightmares. However, when my husband mentioned to me that he was going to be working out of town a lot this summer, we decided to get a dog. We have two cats and I love them almost as if they were my children, but seriously, cats are terrible in a crisis situation. They sleep really heavily and if they happen to wake up, they just run into the garage. THANKS A LOT, assholes. FYI, nobody will be here to feed you when I get killed by a jumpy burglar.

So anyway, we adopted a puppy from the local animal shelter. Her name is Ruby. She's cute. She's happy. She's affectionate. She lets my baby crawl all over her with very little complaint. She eats everything that gets left on the floor, and some things that are close enough to the counter's edge for her to swipe. Everybody's heard about dogs eating shoes and homework and all that, but I didn't realize they actually EAT things. I thought they just chewed things up and left them in pieces. No. Eat. Eaten. Digested. Pooped out in the backyard.

The list of things Ruby has eaten so far include a shoe, a pillow, a measuring cup, a plastic sand shovel, a rope toy, part of our bed comforter, a tennis ball, pine cones, a snail shell, and a refrigerator magnet. This is not unlike my daughter, who will also try to eat anything she finds on the floor, including a very disturbing incident where she ate a piece of cat poop that she mysteriously found. More on that later.

Thus far, owning a dog has solidified my belief that I am mostly a cat person. Here's the thing. I love dogs. I think they are cute and fun and awesome animals. I just happen to appreciate the independent nature of cats more than the loyal and somewhat dumb personality of dogs. Dogs are so needy, and they freak out if they don't get their energy out and they have smelly breath and insist on covering you in drool. My dog also thinks she's a small dog/cat/parrot and perches on the back of the couch around my shoulders. It's funny until she gets my neck with one of her gigantic claws. It's not AS hard as I thought it would be, but owning a dog (more specifically a puppy) is like having another baby... only that baby can jump and reach your face with her tongue and runs as fast as a car and tries to eat your cats. Also? Training a dog is a bitch. I just get so frustrated when she doesn't listen to me the first 400 times I say something (see the parallelism of dogs and babies?) and I eventually just get pissed off and put her outside. But then when I let her back in she is so excited to see me that she needs to jump! and bark! and lick! and nip! and roll! and tummy rub! tummy rub! tummy rub! and chase the cats! and this goes on for awhile.

Sigh. I don't regret getting Ruby. She really has been a nice edition to the family so far, except for the stress that the cats are under. One cat bolts into the garage as soon as he catches a whiff of the dog, and the other cat that will actually stick up for herself doesn't have claws, so it isn't that effective. Ah well. Everyone tells me that it gets easier once they start picking up on their obedience training, so I guess I just have to be patient. Grumble, grumble. In the mean time I will just have to be satisfied that there is yet another creature in my house who wants nothing more than to sleep on my feet and get belly rubs. And it IS pretty cute when Clara feeds her things from her high-chair tray. And snuggles her. And when Ruby's shepherd instincts kick in and she tries to herd Clara down the hall. And when she jumps into the baby pool and snaps at the water.

.....yeah, okay, maybe there's hope for me becoming a dog person.





No comments:

Post a Comment